The Santa Cruz Mid-County Groundwater Agency (MGA) is an 11-member board comprised of two elected officials from Central Water District, City of Santa Cruz, County of Santa Cruz, and Soquel Creek Water District and three private well representatives who oversee the groundwater management activities of the Mid-County Basin Area in Santa Cruz County, California.
- Central Water District: John Benich and Robert Marani (Chair)
- City of Santa Cruz: Cynthia Mathews (Secretary) and David Baskin
- County of Santa Cruz: Zach Friend and John Leopold
- Soquel Creek Water District: Bruce Jaffe and Tom LaHue (Vice-Chair)
- Private Well Representatives: Curt Abramson, Jon Kennedy, and Jim Kerr
Staff and support from other the partner agencies and organizations has also been instrumental.
Joint Powers Agreement (March 17, 2016)
By-Laws (May 19, 2016)
Key Basin Management Goals
As outlined in the current AB3030 Groundwater Management Plan, the basin management goals are:
Goal 1: Ensure water supply reliability for current and future beneficial uses
Goal 2: Maintain water quality to meet current and future beneficial uses
Goal 3: Prevent adverse environmental impacts
These goals will be re-evaluated as the MGA embarks on developing its Groundwater Sustainability Plan.
The MGA has been working and focusing on:
- Formation of a Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) - Complete
- Request Basin Boundary Revision to DWR - Complete
- Develop Groundwater Model of the Soquel-Aptos Groundwater Management Area -Underway
- Hiring a Senior Planner to assist with preparing a Groundwater Sustainability Plan
- Developing a Work Plan to prepare a Groundwater Sustainability Plan
- Public Outreach and Education - Ongoing
For more information on our current activities, click here.
The MGA meetings are open to the public. For more information on meetings, including the agendas, packets, and minutes, click here.